News, Tips, Savings and More
When we find something interesting to share, you’ll find it here. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Let us know what you need here.
Do you like to garden? Do you repair your car on your own? Or maybe, you need jam space for your band or a place to run a home business? If you said “Yes” to any of these questions, then installing a Mini-split ductless air conditioner & heat pump could give you the coolest garage on the street.
Check out this amazing garage transformation!
Imagine sitting back this summer playing guitar in comfort in your garage, or, imagine rolling out of your toasty warm garage this winter! How much more enjoyable will your drive to work be with a warm car this winter?
If you want to reduce the humidity and improve comfort in your garage, then let us tell you about Mini-split ductless air conditioner & heat pumps. They are amazing units and can be the perfect option to heat and cool additional space in your home.
Here is just one example to demonstrate the impact they can have on your home:
This overhaul took some work, but it was the Fujitsu Mini-split Ductless Air Conditioner and Heat Pump that made it all possible. Watch the video below to learn how these systems work and how they can create more comfortable and usable space in your home.
Producers of the popular home remodelling show, Operation Build, which airs on the History Channel, had a problem. The project they were working on – an overcrowded garage remodel for a home in South Florida – had no cooling or heating. After researching their options, they chose the world’s most efficient heat pump for the job.
What are the advantages of a Mini-split ductless air conditioner & heat pump?
The U.S. Department of Energy states:
“Ductless, mini-split-system heat pumps (mini splits) make good retrofit add-ons to houses with “non-ducted” heating systems, such as hydronic (hot water heat), radiant panels, and space heaters (wood, kerosene, propane). They can also be a good choice for room additions where extending or installing distribution ductwork is not feasible and very efficient new homes that require only a small space conditioning system. Be sure to choose an ENERGY STAR® compliant unit and hire an installer familiar with the product and its installation.
Like standard air-source heat pumps, mini splits have two main components — an outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit. A conduit, which houses the power cable, refrigerant tubing, suction tubing, and a condensate drain, links the outdoor and indoor units.”
What are the disadvantages of a Mini-split ductless air conditioner & heat pump?
Depending on the application, these systems can cost more that ducted whole-home heating and cooling solutions; however, mini-ductless systems are often installed when existing ducting isn’t accessible.
If you are interested in seeing other options for cooling your home, please read this detailed post about the 4 Coolest Ways to Cool Your Home.
Tell Us: Have you considered adding air conditioning and heating to transform your garage? Please tell us below.
Airco Heating & Cooling: NEST Giveaway!
Please enter here. The contest runs from April 1, 2017, through June 30, 2017. Contest rules are at the bottom of this post.
Watch people at work, around your neighbourhood or in your local restaurant. What do you see? Almost everyone has a smartphone. Technology is everywhere and companies are rapidly finding ways to improve our lives, save us time, money and effort. The NEST learning thermostat is a great option for those that want to improve the comfort in their home while also reducing their energy costs and impact on the environment.
Why Consider a NEST?
The NEST learns your patterns and adjust the heating and cooling in your home to improve comfort AND reduce energy consumption. With a WiFi connection, you can access the control panel from anywhere, including the comfort of your own bed! Below is a quick overview video on the Nest and how it can improve the heating and cooling of your home.
NEST Home Automation
One of the other advantages of the NEST is that it acts as a hub to connect your home automation. You can add smart light bulbs, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and outdoor and indoor security cameras.
- The winner will be chosen randomly on June 30, 2017.
- Only one entry per home.
- A total of 1 (one) unit is available for this giveaway with an approximate retail value of $329 Canadian.
- Entries from outside the Metro Vancouver or Fraser Valley will be excluded.
- Odds of winning are determined by the actual number of valid entries received.
- Winners will be notified by email and announced on our Facebook page.
- By entering the contest, you are also granting us permission to contact you by email. You can unsubscribe easily at any time.
- No purchase necessary.
- This contest does not involve nor is it supported by Facebook.
- Installation is not included, though we do offer that service for a fee. Unit does include do-it-yourself installation instructions.
Now It’s Your Turn!
If you have a NEST learning thermostat, please share your experience so far. If you don’t, are you planning on installing one in the near future?
Please subscribe below to receive cool heating and cooling tips and tricks like the NEST thermostat.
Despite the incredible snowstorms we have had this winter, rest assured that Spring is on the way. We get a wave of calls from customers this time of year for Spring maintenance. So, we have put 3 heating & cooling maintenance tips together for you, and the third one is a surprise to most people.
1. Simple Yet Major Tip: Eliminate heating and cooling issues by changing your filters every 90 days!
Dust is your enemy. This simple tip can save you thousands in repair bills of your heating and cooling system, and improve your energy bill and air quality. For example, a customer recently had their furnace fail completely during a cold snap! They have a cat and they hadn’t changed their filter in many months. The filter was so clogged it actually got sucked into the furnace’s motor! It was a costly repair and ultimately didn’t need to happen if they simply cleaned or changed their filter regularly.
There are five main types of filters: disposable fibreglass, disposable pleated, disposable electrostatic, permanent electrostatic and high-efficiency pleated. In addition to the type of filter, the MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value) rating is also important as stated by the Family Handyman magazine. The “MERV scale goes from 1 to 16. Most residential filters range from 4 to 12. Furnace manufacturers prefer the traditional, spun fibreglass filters (MERV 2) because they filter out enough of the large particles to protect the furnace while providing maximum airflow. Maintaining the furnace manufacturer’s specified airflow is critical to achieving energy efficiency and maximum life from the blower motor and heat exchanger. An inexpensive MERV 4 filter captures 80 percent of the particles 50 microns and larger, but only 25 percent of the particles in the 3 to 10-micron range”.
Click below for some great savings available until the end of March.
2. Energy Saving Tip: Use a programmable thermostat!
New thermostats, such as the NEST, can save up to 20% in heating or cooling costs. They can be managed remotely, send you equipment status alerts, or work with the outdoor temperature to keep your home more comfortable. Having your heating and cooling systems running more evenly helps reduce wear and tear.
“Turn yours into a smart home with the Nest Learning Thermostat. It remembers what temperatures you like, learns your schedule, and programs itself to save energy. It’s sharp 2.08″ LCD display with Farsight lights up when you approach. WiFi connected, you can control it with your mobile device, and use it with numerous compatible smart home products.”
3. Warranty Tip: Service Your Equipment Annually!
Maintaining your heating and cooling systems is extremely important. Furnaces and air conditioners seem to run on their own for the most part, so it is easy to forget maintenance. Often, years can go by without a servicing. Did you know that most furnace brands like York and Carrier require home owners service their systems annually or else their warranties will be void? Your furnace and air conditioner are two of the most expensive pieces of equipment in your home. Please protect your investment and ensure you don’t have an emergency during our next snow storm or heat wave.
Please tell us: How often do you perform heating & cooling maintenance?
It’s time for Spring Cleaning! Or in our business, our Spring Cleaning Sale!
In our industry, spring is the slowest time of year. It gives us a chance to slow down and smell the roses. Or daffodils. Or whatever the spring winds blow our way.
Our Spring Cleaning Sale means you get the benefit of lower prices as we are not as busy!
Looking for a deal on a new furnace, boiler, hot water heater, heat pump or air conditioner? We can offer you discounts of up to $1000 on new installed equipment. Just call us today at 604-882-9224 or use our contact form here and we’ll see how we can help.
Need a good cleaning and maintenance of your system? From now until the end of March, save 25% off routine furnace service pricing. Now is the time to get the bugs out. Before you need it again. And if you have any other equipment to service, save an additional 15%, including Air Conditioners! Plus, earn up to 5% in Family Rewards on your total purchase for use on future service, repair, or upgrades.
Call now 604-882-9224 before summer is here and we’re busy with our cooling demands! Or use our contact form here
Some quick tips for maintaining your home heating and cooling systems
- Change filters on a regular basis
- Dust is your enemy! Ensure dust does not reduce the airflow or reduce the life of your motor/electronic board
- Clean your air/water filtration systems
- Remove your filter components and check to ensure they are clean.
- Read the cleaning instructions left by your qualified installer to ensure what and how to clean the components.
- Be sure to shut off the power and turn it back on again when you’re done!
- Keep equipment free and clear of clutter
- Ensure the any equipment inside or outside of the home has room to breath. Like a circulatory system, when things get in the way, the breathing becomes difficult.
- Clean moss, leaves, or dust off heat pumps or outdoor condensers.
- Keep air and baseboard heaters clear of clutter or anything blocking the free flow of energy.
- Schedule regular service
- Regular servicing of equipment ensures your warranty is maintained, equipment failures are caught, and the system is operating at peak efficiency before you need it.
- Consider it a regular checkup for a very expensive piece of household equipment.
- Ask for advice
- Don’t hesitate to call a qualified HVAC company as the good ones will take the time to help you over the phone.
- Or take the time to discuss your concerns with a technician when they service your equipment.
- Good companies are happy to share their advice and provide safety and operating tips for the best performance.
Regardless if you do some of it yourself, or you have our professionals do the complete job with our Spring Cleaning Sale, just don’t forget to pay some deserved TLC to your equipment soon! To help you remember, subscribe to our newsletter
Summer in the Lower Mainland is beautiful; however, sometimes you just need a break from the heat and humidity. Often it gets so hot the only thing we can think of is figuring out which of our friends have air conditioners!
Speaking of needing a break from the heat, have you ever put a bowl of ice by your face and sat down in front of a fan? Or, maybe you put your feet in a bowl of cold water and continuously spritzed your face with water? Have you ever gone through your Facebook friends…just to see who has a pool? It’s ok, you can be honest.
If you have thought of or have done any of these things, you likely are in need of some type of air conditioning, so please read on!
Here are the 4 coolest ways to cool you home this summer:
- Central Air Conditioners are most common option to cool an entire home. While central air units are not new they have become quieter and much more efficient over the years. They provide the most consistent cooling throughout your home. If you already have ductwork in your home a central air conditioner is likely the best solution for you. Although central air is a larger investment than the other options, their typical lifespan is 15-20 years but that can be extended through regular maintenance and care.
- Room Air Conditioners are very common in apartments or for adding extra cooling to additional space. They are very common because you can easily take them when you move and they are relatively cheap. The major downside to ‘window’ air conditioners is they are very noisy. They also block sunlight, create a lot of water run-off and since they are hard to seal around they lead to air leakage of around 10%.
- Ductless, Mini-Split Air Conditioners are becoming extremely popular. Many families in the Lower Mainland are converting more of their homes into comfortable and permanent living spaces. These also provide heating, so while they may cost as much or more than central air, they are also doing the work of a furnace. If you already have ductwork then central air is your best option, unless you are using this system to heat and cool space that central air or your furnace don’t reach (i.e. new living space).
- Evaporative Coolers reduce the humidity in the air which does create a more comfortable environment. They do have their place in specific situations, but, they are not as common in our region.
Here are the pros and cons for each air conditioning system:
What is the best solution for you?
We hope this helps you decide what the best option is to cool your home. Since you have made it to this point of the blog post, please tell us this: What is the craziest thing you have done to keep cool in summer? Please comment below.
Please add your email below to receive more cool tips about heating and cooling your home.
Best of the Best!
We are proud to announce that Airco Heating and Cooling has been voted one of Langley’s “Best of the Best” in the Heating category for 2016 by readers of the Langley Advance by Blackpress!
Thank you to all our customers who took the time to share their experience and continue to support our business. We appreciate your business and your loyalty over the years.
We are humbled but proud of our work and our commitment to our customers, our employees, and our community.
HomeStars has recognized us for our reputation and great reviews! HomeStars Best of 2017
Please contact us below so we can have a chance to provide outstanding customer service to you as well!
York Condensate Drain Pan Issue
Do you have a York Furnace in your home?
Although York manufactures an excellent product, we have been notified of a flaw in some of their early high efficient systems, where they used a clear condensate drain pan to assist technicians in assessing the operating condition of the unit. Using this clear plastic has created the potential for cracks and leaks, leading to corrosive condensate to leak out of the drain pan and into the furnace.
Fortunately, York has provided a fix by replacing the drain pan with a unit made from a black crack resistant polymer. The part and labour for replacement is covered by a special arrangement with the York factory. Diagnosis and travel time is not covered, but is normally a flat $149 plus taxes.
Gas Furnace models affected include:
All 33″ York High Efficiency Models Prior to 2015 including:
Defective Drain pan
New Drain Pan:
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Get your system inspected by an authorized York dealer.
We are an authorized York dealer and can provide you with some critical information to allow you to take action to determine if your unit has an issue and how to proceed.
While York does cover the part and replacement labour, you are responsible for the diagnostic fees associated with dispatching our technician and having them confirm any issues. York also does not cover any recommended service to your system.
WHO IS AIRCO HEATING AND COOLING LTD?
We are a Langley based heating and cooling company, registered with the BC Safety Authority and WorkSafe BC. We are an independent authorized York dealer, with factory-trained technicians and licensed gas fitters. We have been in business since 1970 and are members of the BBB and the Langley Chamber of Commerce. With excellent references and a great online reputation, we are a company with very high standards.
Most homeowners are unaware of this issue but should be informed and understand their options. York has been very helpful by ensuring the part and labour is covered regardless of your warranty and service status.
Please call our office at 604-882-9224 use our form here as soon as possible to book a system audit.
2016 Furnace and Boiler Replacement Program – $800 off!
Ryan Coleman of EcoLighten Energy Solutions encourages customers to have their new furnace installed to a quality standard to optimize energy efficiency and help extend furnace life.
Replace your aging furnace (or boiler) with an eligible ENERGY STAR® or equivalent model that’s 95 per cent efficient or higher (94 per cent efficient or higher for boilers) and you could receive an $800 rebate. But hurry! You must pre-qualify for your rebate by August 15, 2016 **UPDATE – DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUG 31st!!
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Your existing furnace or boiler must be a minimum of 10 years old and not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax).
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR or equivalent furnace or boiler.
- Before applying for your rebate, you must have a valid pre-qualification code. Codes are only available until August 15, 2016,**UPDATE – DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUG 31st!! or while quantities last.
- Furnaces and boilers must be purchased, installed and paid for in full between June 30, 2016 and October 31, 2016.
*You can find a complete list of requirements under the terms and conditions.
How to apply
- Review the program terms and conditions.
- Apply for your pre-qualification code by August 15, 2016. Note: you’ll need your FortisBC account number.
- If installing a furnace, check out our quality installation resources before you buy.
- Choose and purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler and have it installed by a BC Safety Authority licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor by searching our directory.
- Review the quality installation checklist with your contractor.
- Complete the application form in full. Include it, along with a copy of your invoice showing details of all worked performed, purchase date, make and model number and installation permit number. Remember to include your pre-qualification code on your application and have your contractor complete their part of the application. (Please note: incomplete applications will delay processing.)
- Send your completed application postmarked (registered mail is recommended) by October 31, 2016 to:Furnace and Boiler Replacement Program
PO Box 9090
Surrey, BC V3T 5W4Or email your application by 11:59 p.m., October 31, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your application is approved, we’ll mail you a cheque. Please allow up to 90 days to process your rebate.
Ensure a quality furnace installation
Your new furnace can provide you with years of comfort and efficiency, but only if it’s installed to a quality standard. Check out these resources to learn more:
- Watch our short quality install video, which explains what a quality installation is and how you can ensure your new furnace meets this installation standard.
- Learn more with our tips on buying a new furnace.
- Read our interview with Ryan Coleman of EcoLighten Energy Solutions. Ryan is a proponent of the quality installation guidelines recommended to all gas contractors.
- Discuss the quality installation checklist with your contractor before you buy.
Beat the heat with Air Conditioning
With record temperatures last year, predictions are that this summer will be just as hot or hotter. Call it climate change or call it temporary, the facts are that our area of the world is changing.
If you’ve considered AC but think it’s too expensive or maybe too noisy for your neighbours, you’ll be surprised by the options you have today. Worried that AC isn’t practical in your home? Concerned about energy costs? Technology has changed and today we can supply quiet, energy efficient systems, some of which can supply both heating and cooling to help make your indoor world a whole lot more comfortable. And we can place the systems in places you might have thought impossible!
If you’ve thought about it and want a no-pressure, free consultation and quote, give us a call. We don’t send out sales people. You’ll likely speak with the same person who will install the system. That’s how we work. We are about the long term relationship and quality of the product we install. You have plenty of choice, so we’ll simplify your options and make it easier to understand when you are ready to make your decision.
Call us now at 604-882-9224 or use our contact form!
Want to learn about the world’s most efficient Ductless Mini-split AC from Fujitsu? Read about it here:
Renewed focus on reliable service.
Same family commitment to quality.
To you, our customer;
It has been almost a year since the passing of our company founder, my uncle Terry, back in March of 2015. As we reflect on the past year, we are proud to carry on the mantle of our family business. While it has been a difficult journey moving forward in spite of our family’s loss, we are extremely proud of what we have accomplished. I think he would have agreed.
We have renewed our focus on reliable service by improving our communication and administration tools, to help us become better at meeting our promises and your expectations. For example, we now use a digital scheduler with appointment reminders for you and our technicians. This also give us the ability to quickly access your equipment and service history.
We’ve updated our image and renewed our relationships with our customers, our suppliers and our community to ensure we become better at meeting our expectations of ourselves. We have invested in training and quality control to help us stay at the top of the game. And it’s paying off with happy customers and happy referrals!
We sponsored the adoption of a street for cleanup to demonstrate our commitment to our community. We were nominated for the Service Excellence Award and the Small Business of the Year Award with the Langley Chambers of Commerce. We are getting great feedback and positive reviews from customers all over our trading area. We recently added new brands to our equipment lineups.
Terry was a mentor to many and a man who gave more of himself than most. He was known as a dedicated and knowledgeable tradesperson with a keen eye for detail and quality. His desire for service did sometimes create challenges in meeting his promises, as some of our customers have shared with a laugh and a wink. “Yes, it took him a while to show up sometimes, but once he was here, he wouldn’t give up until he solved the problem!”
I think he would be proud of what we’ve accomplished in spite of the difficult transition and tremendous sense of loss. But we do it with the overall desire to provide you with better service based on family values and quality service. It really is all about “Our Family Helping Your Family Since 1970”.
We appreciate you, our customers and we look forward to serving you for many more years to come.
(To my fellow Canuck Fans, please excuse the Jets wear – it was Christmas in Winterpeg!)
Call us now at 604-882-9224 or use our contact form!